We all love chocolate, besides the taste is filled with nutrients and makes you happier and healthy!I’ve been trying to create the perfect snickers substitute since I love the taste, since I love pies I decided to create the perfect snickers pie! It’s healthy, has good fats, fiber, protein and carbs to give you energy without the weird ingredients we find in commercial chocolates.
Let me talk about some chocolate nasty facts.
Cacao is one of the crops that you should know where was grown, there are lots of documented cases when child slavery has been found in the plantations, also the farmers (even the good ones) are not payed fairly. We need to take this seriously, we use to say «a moment in the mouth, a lifetime in the hips» but I think we need to say «how many lives for a moment?» Is it really worth it? You can watch the documentary «The dark side of chocolate» for more facts about child slavery and trafficking in the cacao industry.
Now let’s back to the good facts, cacao in its natural form (raw and fermented) is four times more powerful as an antioxidant than dark processed chocolate, dairy blocks the absorption of the antioxidants.
Cacao contains anandamide (mood improver), PEA (triggers the release of endorphins) and opium-like substances. A fun fact is that when we fall in love and during sexual activity we release these chemicals naturally, the other food that produces this is blue algae… How sad…
Also protects your heart, prevents aging, shrink appetite, makes you prettier (healthy hair and nails), and reduces cortisol (the stress hormone) in just 2 weeks of having it daily!
I can talk hours of the wonderful facts about cacao but let’s focus on what we want, a nice recipe with cacao! Remember to get raw and fermented cacao, you can find it in natural/health stores and if you live in the tropics you can easily find it in the local markets.
*if you don’t find raw dark cacao paste you can easily use a mix of coconut oil, agave syrup and cacao powder.
Prep 30 min
1/4 cup soaked almonds
1/4 cup goji berries
1/4 tsp raw cacao powder
1 cup tofu
3 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 cup raw and sweetened dark chocolate paste
1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Blend the ingredients until becomes a paste.
2. Cover the pan with the paste and put it inside the fridge.
1. Place the tofu between paper towels and press it for 15min, you can use another plate to put it on top to make pressure.
2. Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
3. Put the filling on top of the crust.
4. Place it in the freezer for 6 hours or in the fridge overnight.
1. Put the coconut oil in a small pan with low heat.
2. Place the chocolate until starts to melt.
3. When the chocolate is starting to melt, turn off the heat and mix it with a spoon until melted.
4. Cover the pie and serve, if you want the ganache to be hard place it back in the fridge for 10 minutes.
Top it with peanuts org cacao nibs.